Monday, February 19, 2024

The More The Merrier


Putting my cinephile hat on. Why, if this is a blog for a choreographer? 

When Diaghilev was fostering new choreographers (like Fokine, Massine, Nijinsky, & Lifar) for his Ballet Russe, he didn't keep them in the studio. He took them to museums and art salons. Art doesn't exist in a vacuum. Especially art that is supposed to strike a chord with an audience.

There is no such thing as too much exposure to art, if you are an artist. See as much as you can. Even viewing bad or mediocre art is informative. It helps with developing your own likes... dislikes... and singular voice. Of course, once you get to a certain age, you don't need to go to everything. Life is too short. :)

Anyhow, motion pictures are just as much of an art form as sculpture and painting. If I were to pick two things to go in a capsule to be saved forever to highlight the height of man's artistic accomplishments, right next to Michelangelo's David would be a film of Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire dancing Cheek to Cheek.

So if I am presenting a ballet highlighting love, desire, and passion the more visual references I have in my mind for those things the better.

Luckily, I have always loved the movies.

Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn saying goodbye in Roman Holiday. John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in the rain in The Quiet Man. Debra Kerr and Burt Lancaster in the waves in From Here To Eternity. William Holden and, well, William Holden and anybody... anywhere.' It all feeds the inspiration. And also, the depth of what I expect my dancers to present. Yes, I could hide behind the patina of ballet and say "It is enough to be aesthetically pleasing and to impress the audience," but I don't want that. I want the audience to feel something.

I was reminded of this two nights ago. TCM was playing one of my favorite movies, The More The Merrier. The director, George Stevens, became known for his dramatic work.The two stars, Jean Arthur and Joel McCrea, were know for their work in light comedy. But in the middle of the movie is the most tender, romantic scene of seduction you will ever see on film. McCrea is literally luminous as he becomes a languorous, delicate human octopus and Arthur is completely transparent in every nuance that flashes across her face. It is a beautiful erotic dream.

Why shouldn't i hold myself up to the same bar with Don Juan? I should. I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home