Friday, February 16, 2024

A smile

 

Today was a bit of a slog. The 3rd Act is a bit of a bear to get through, but we pushed our way forward. Still didn't finish it. But we had to go back and review everything we had learned previously in the other acts. Can't let a day go by without it. Also we had a couple of guest from the media who were coming in today. They say that they just want to watch a rehearsal, but hey really respond better when you show them things that are completed. They tend to get a bit restless if you are working in process.

One of the nice things about the run is seeing the dancers working. There are some dancers who just are innately joyous when they move. Whether they are in the front line or in the back corner, you can see that they come alive when they put steps together. It doesn't have anything to do with ability or technique or training. It is something inside a dancer that makes itself easily evident on the outside.

It reminds me of my favorite line from a lovely movie, Chariots of Fire. The beautiful actor Ian Charleson (who was taken from us too soon) says, " I believe that God made me for a purpose, but... he also made me FAST and when I run I feel his pleasure." Now, I am not a religious person, but I completely understand this sentiment. And so do some of my dancers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home