Monday, February 26, 2024

A (Not So) Heavy Lift

A moment of truth.

This past weekend was one that I had been dreading for months Not only was San Diego Ballet remounting and presenting a 3 act ballet (that we hadn't done in a decade) at a fairly high profile venue, but I was also facilitating (in charge of) the entertainment portion of rather high end gala for an organization that assists differently abled athletes, the Challenged Athletes Foundation.

Both events had a 7pm start time on Saturday. And each was an event that I could not say no to for noth professional and personal reasons. So back in the fall of 2023, I committed myself to the idea that on Feb. 24th, 2024.... my mind was going to have to be in two places at the exact same time.

I would say "luckily" for me, but there was no luck associated with it. Gratefully for me, I had two amazing teams making each event work beautifully.

From the staff at CAF, to the uber-professional event staff, to the Athlete Presenters, to the amazing Auctioneer (who brought it all together), and the inspirational talent (including a South African Youth Choir), who all came together to raise more money in one evening than I have ever seen at an event like this and made the Gala a success...

And the dancers and staff (including my executive director Matt, wardrobe mistress Marcia,  General Manager Karen, as well As Gabriela and Patty), who gave performances that SDB can be proud of...

They ALL made it possible for me to spend the last 4 days driving back and forth between rehearsals and venues... and rehearsals and venues.

Through it all, I would get comments about my ability to deal with so many projects at once. The truth is that I could only do so because way back when I chose  to do so, I ALREADY knew that I had two amazing groups of people who would deliver.

A special shoutout to my longtime lighting designer, Phillipe Bergman, with whom I have shared many "souvenirs" as the say in French and without whom, I could not have gotten through the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home