Friday, August 10, 2012

August 10 2012

Tech Rehearsal Romeo et Juliet 2012. Photos by Greg Olive.

Daily Stuff - Yesterday was my first full day of Florence vacation. Thanks to my handy dandy Firenze Card I skipped all the lines and spent 3 hours at the Uffizi, the went to the Bargello, the Medici Chapel and finally the Accademia, where I spent an hour David (the marble one) and headed back to my hotel.

So many twisting and reclining sculpted bodies, its easy to see where my aesthetic tastes sprang from. Oh, well, always loved Greek myths as a kid. I suppose i could get deep here, but I am not too much into over analyzing my artistic influences. Suffice it to say, my most memorable moments were...

Looking at a ceiling fresco and being struck by the clarity of the use of color. I had never seen black used in a ceiling fresco. Especially that much.

Staring at David's head so long that it seemed to start to come to life. I usually have that experience with any really great marble statue. Its partially the marble, such a soft material. But there is something more.

Being in the Medici Chapel and sitting on the marble floor of the big (cool) empty space and feeling relaxed and peaceful (even though I was surrounded by dead people. Why do these people always bury folks INSIDE churches. its creepy.



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home