Friday, June 22, 2007

Hiding Out

I am actually a pretty anti-social being.

Given my druthers, if I won the lottery, I would probably go live in a cave somewhere. A well appointed cave with a nice swimming pool and library, but a cave nonetheless. Of course, I would do lots of social good with my millions, but from afar.

Although the blogs haven't quite reflected it, the past few days have been a bit intense as far as meetings and greetings, so I had to escape. So today I just kind of hid out.

When I go visit my brother or stay with other people, I don't need fancy pillows or bedding (or even pillows or beds), I just need a room (or closet) with a lock. Anyplace where I can go "click" and know that I can "choose" to not let people in. If I can't have that, then I manufacture reasons to go out alone or to come back early.

Now, I don't want people to think that I don't enjoy being with people. I do. But I need to balance it out. To "clean the slate," as it were, of other people's energies.

So no real business to report today, since I was in my bunker mode.



Have you ever heard the old adage, "Don't judge a book by its cover." well...



One of the best things about this summer reading classic is the look you get from every passerby that sees you reading it. Or carrying it for that matter. The first disclaimer here is that it is NOT really about the sex lives of cannibals. That is simply the catchy title the author gave it. But admit it, it DID catch your eye.

There is a particular brand of writing that is perfectly suited to summer reading... the humorous travelogue. That is what this is. The writer and his girlfriend go off to live on a tropical atoll for two years. But it is a tropical atoll unlike any you can imagine (and not in a good way.)

One of the great things about the book is that no matter where you are reading it, you are bound to be in a better place than the writer at any given moment. It is pretty much 2 years of unbearable heat (the surrounding water is actually hotter than the equatorial island), canned food (usually fish), shark infested waters (whenever a shark is spotted the native islanders all jump INTO the water to catch it for dinner), and a "natural" sewage system favored by the natives involving going to the nearest body of water (even if you are swimming in it.)

Good times! Maybe not, but the writer is so gosh darned funny in recounting the tale that you can't help but go along for the ride.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Dawn & Paul said...

Significant other tore the cover off of said book . . .but liked the book, just not the attention getting cover.
Your blog is better than most comic books . . .Wicked Stepmother

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home