Sunday, March 03, 2024

One More Pic

Another Don Juan pic.

This pic is from one on the big moments of the ballet. After a pas de quatre, where Don Juan's ideal dances an adagio with 3 men (including DJ), the corps runs in and we have this big dramatic restatement of the theme in canon. This was one of those moments where I was able to re-look at the ballet and futz things around to make it clearer. Because of the smaller stage, I made two changes whichI think improved it.In the old version, the two other guys stayed on and joined the corps girls in their movement. Because there was less room, I had them exit as the girls rushed in. I was happier with this as it really brought into  focuse that all of the women were aspects of the Don's ideal. Likewise, because of the smaller stage I simplified the floorwork the girls did as part of the background movemen. By doing this, it threw more focus on the pas de deux in the middle. Finally, in rehearsal, I noticed that Stephanie was coming out of her lift in plenty of time to do the final step (one of those penche attitudes I am so fond of) with the corps girls. I asked her to join them and it put a nice period on the sequence. So just because something was choreographed a decade ago, doesn't meant that it is set in stone. Far from it. I feel like it is just part of the natural process.




 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home