Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Feb 14 2012

Rehearsal for SDB's Romeo et Juliet. Photographer: Gregory Olive. Dancers: Abby Avery & Leila Gardner. You always have a bit of a choice in Romeo and Juliet as to whether Tybalt really meant to kill Mercutio or not. Or whether he gets a bit of shock and remorse afterwards. I don't really like the idea that Tybalt would suddenly have a conscience after being the textbook heavy during the entire piece. Especially, since in the play, he doesn't have any real lines towards that end. All things being Italian in Romeo and Juliet, I prefer him as the cold blooded hit man.
Rehearsal for SDB's Romeo et Juliet. Photographer: Gregory Olive. Dancers: Abby Avery in foreground. Max Tchernychev in background. So now, Tybalt is dead too. Not because loverboy Romeo is such a great swordsman, but because he turned his back on him. That's the thing with all the swordfighting in Romeo and Juliet, it doesn't accomplish anything. Both Tybalt and Mercutio are dispatched when they are not looking. Mercutio because Romeo has distracted him and Tybalt because he thinks the fight is over. So since I wanted to keep the focus on the young love and desire angle, I cut back the stage combat to the minimum to keep the piece moving forward.

Daily Stuff -  Teaching at Florence today. Happy Valentine's day everyone. Its my parent's 53rd anniversary.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Bri said...

I definitely agree about Tybalt. Granted, I've never seen a "Romeo and Juliet" play or film, but I've seen the ballet enough times to not bother to count. I prefer him as a hitman, not empathetic and overly involved.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home